It’s been a while since I’ve blogged anything here, and this time will be a bit different from the usual.
A few months back I had received interesting feedback in short saying that I seem to be a more “managerial” person rather than technical. Well I perfectly understand reasoning behind it – especially looking at my recent experience – but… I have always considered myself as software engineer first and later leader or manager. That’s why hearing the aforementioned words gave me very powerful trigger. I’ve made a decision to be more and more involved technically within the software projects I run – essentially I am an Engineer and we all love to solve “puzzles” 🙂
It took me some time to get myself up-to-speed in terms of recent full stack technology (that’s probably why the blogging break was so long) but I’m finally there – to some extent doing hands-on work for living again (aka coding 😀 ).
While familiarizing myself with the recent Java/JS tech world I wasn’t able to find good enough boilerplate project that would satisfy all my needs for a starting point application to play with Java & JS. That’s why after initial learning curve was completed I’ve decided to create one and share it here so that everyone can benefit.
- Server side uses Spring Boot as the main application framework to quickly build a production ready app. That includes, but not limited to:
- UI side uses React as the main fronted JS framework
- Data storage using MongoDB
- Whole build, bundling and testing is automated using Gradle Wrapper on server side and npm on UI side (detailed instruction on the project page). Additionally worth mentioning for UI side:
- Automated test suites on different level
- Application integrated with Travis, open-source continuous integration environment
- Using useful lombok project to limit Java boilerplate code
- Possibility to bundle application as one jar or run server & UI separately
Hopefully somebody besides myself will find it useful. It’s not perfect as I’m still working on it. Also if you think about nice libs/features/fixes that can be added, please do not hesitate to raise an issue or a pull request 🙂